aShademan

September 26, 2005

{style.guide} Abbreviations

"Another notion of the image Jacobian is the interaction matrix as used by Espiau et al. [6]."

It may seem obvious to all of my readers, but to me it still is a bit ambiguous how to correctly write the above sentence in a scientific document (even after checking The Mayfield Handbook of Technical and Scientific Writing)

RULE: If an abbreviation ending in a period comes at the end of a sentence, do not attach an additional period to the sentence.

So, should I write it as follows?

"Another notion of the image Jacobian is the interaction matrix as used by Espiau et al [6]."

Soliciting help here, ne1? BTW, have I used "notion of" phrase correctly? I am starting to suspect everything! Is this air I am breathing now? Do I really exist? What is existence? Ahhh, midnight madness!

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home