aShademan

March 22, 2007

When in Rome do as Iranians, if you're an Iranian.

North American male friends rarely shake hand and keep their distance from each other. There are good things to shaking hands daily. For example, when you meet a labmate or a classmate for the first time during the day, you can't neglect him! You have to acknowledge his presence and he would be more than an empty chair sitting next to you. People are distant in this part of the planet and avoid each other daily. I haven't been greeted by two labmates since Jan. because each time I walk in the lab, they keep themselves busy with work and don't even turn their head to say hi, let alone shaking hands.

I understand the cultural indifferences and I repsect that. What I don't understand are culturally lost people who when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Today was our new year's day and I met an Iranian who refused to greet another Iranian formally, for the fear of being labeled homosexual. Our formal and very occasional greeting includes shaking hands followed by cheek-on-cheek kissing.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home