aShademan

May 11, 2006

{sports.hockey} Oilers win in 3rd OT

Let me get something straight, here. I wanted to make this blog an all-science blog. I am not quite in the mood to BS for science for now. I might do it some day, as I enjoy scientific BS, no matter what. Wouldn't it be interesting to know that the current technology hype is around game business, but a few years from now no one would be that much interested in it? Sort of like the bio-technology that was hot a few years back, but right now its games games and more games that you hear about day in and day out. Yeah, well. Let's talk about science in games, later. For now I am a sports-o-holic, whatever that means.

I usually like to lay low in front of TV and watch a game, be it soccer, basketball, or hockey whatnot. I had a conversation with Taftestan the other evening and he mentioned that he watches British rugby, too! I am new to hockey, he is new to rugby, but according to him that's natural. That was a relief for me, because as much as I enjoy watching a hockey game these days, I know that I didn't have any passion for it a few years back. Does the Canadian winter have anything to do with it? Apparantly not. I guess it's just natural to grow some passion for domestic sports and guess what? Hockey is a Canadian game and British rugby is, well, Brit!

I was watching this second-round playoff game between Edmonton Oilers and San Jose Sharks last night. The Oilers were down 2-0 in the series (lost both games in San Jose), and they were down 2-1 in the game, but they were fighting back hard. What I like about Oilers is that they are an emotional team (sort of like Iran's soccer team) and they play very well against stronger teams (by regular season standings). They play for their pride and for their city. I am cheering for them.

The nice thing about hockey is that it is a physical sport. Sometimes, you have an impression that they should kill a player to get a call from the refs, but well that's not quite true. They have some strict rules (hooking, high sticking, etc.), but last night there were two horrible scenes. Hopefully, both players were all right and the Oilers tied the game to go to OT.

No goals in the nerve-breaking first and second OT, yet Oilers manages to score in the 3rd OT. It was hell of a nice physical effort for both team. The Oilers had 55 shots on goal and deserved to win. Now, they are trailing Sharks 2-1 in the series and the next game will be tomorrow night, again in Rexall place in Edmonton. That's a game not to miss, folks. If the series tie at 2 games apiece, there would be a chance to close it in on Sharks in San Jose (after tomorrow's game), the series will continue at San Jose.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home